Saturday, January 21, 2006

GHO Around the Bay!


The 'Around the Bay' road race is one of the oldest races in Canada and even started up a few years before the Boston Marathon. The historical race is 'must do' for local road runners and attracts a large strong field each year. This year, the race is the morning after GHO's annual Peak to Peak race and we thought it would make for a fun weekend to put some teams into the relay section of the road race. The full run is 30km, but teams two or three are also allowed. The P2P is Saturday March 25th, and AtB is Sunday morning.

Here are a couple of options of what we could do:
1. Everyone makes their own teams, trying to make at least one team aiming for a GHO Canada GHO victory.
2. Everyone who is interested throws their name in a hat and we randomly draw teams to make it a little inter-club competition.
3. Everyone throws their name in a hat and we make teams as even as possible in a quasi-random way for some intense inter-club competition!

Post what your preference is and if you'd like to do Option 2 or 3, send me an email so teams can be made. goeresp 'at' yahoo.ca

Race entry is $150 per team of 3. The first entry deadline is February 5th, and max 200 teams are allowed - so think about if you'd like to do this.

www.aroundthebayroadrace.com

12 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

Ok, I'll register the 1st vote - option 3!

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger The Wadd Squad said...

The Around the Bay Road Race is THE oldest road race in NA - not one of the oldest...

If need a third I could be convince but I want the last 10K on the hilly section (ie., what we would call a flat O race)

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger BarbC said...

Normally I'd volunteer for the GHO Slow team, but I'll be in Calgary, so I'll cheer from there!

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger The Wadd Squad said...

Last year's winning team averaged 35 minutes for each 10K section.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger superwes1000 said...

I'll be doing this race one way or the other. I could be talked in to doing as a relay but there's no way I'll be going 35 minutes for a 10k. If I had to guess I'd say right around 40 minutes, maybe a bit under so maybe you don't want to talk me into it....

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger superwes1000 said...

and I prefer option 3 so my team (whoever it might be) can wipe the floor with the rest of you turkeys.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger GHO said...

I might be interested. I can't remember the options but if sw1000 says option 3, I'll go with that too.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger superwes1000 said...

Let's try to firm this up one way or the other. I'd like to register next week as an individual if this relay thing isn't going to happen and I'm way too cheap to let early registration and associated price concessions slide by. Have all interested parties posted here on the blog site or are there others?

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

It looks like we will be doing this for sure Wes. I've asked people to confirm by Thursday Feb 2nd so we can get entries in by the first deadline (5th). But start hounding people in the club to join us so we have more teams. So far we have 6 people interested.

 
At 9:17 PM, Blogger Sidd97 said...

The GHO Slow team is about my speed if there is interest!

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

It's looking like we're going to kibosh the organized club ATB teams this year. If you still really want to do it, it's all on you know!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home